I wrote a while ago about Dan being in the hospital with a pericardial effusion. That hospitalization went ok. They did a couple of procedures and the biopsy and fluid were all negative for synovial sarcoma.
Unfortunately about 6 weeks later, right before he was to have a CT scan of his heart to make sure everything was ok…Dan had sharp pain in his side and was hospitalized with fluid around his heart again. (We were waiting for “the dust to settle”)
The surgeons found a large “mass” behind his heart and did an open chest surgery to get it out, unfortunately when they went in they realized the tumor was in the pericardium and fused to his heart. Stupid, stupid cancer. It would be too risky to remove it. They cleared some other nodules and sucked out a lot of the fluid and closed him up.
Now we wait for him to heal from surgery and he’ll begin Votrient with the hopes that it will shrink or at least stop the progression of the tumor. We’re waiting MRI results to see if there are any more.
Just wanted to send this update to let you all know. Would love to hear any experiences you’ve had on V. I’ve read that many of you or your loved ones have tried. We’ve had such good luck with surgeries, it kills me that this one isn’t removable. It also kills me that Dan is perfectly healthy otherwise.